I became a Landlord Insurance Agent after my tenant burned my home.
In 2004, while sitting on my front porch, the fire marshal call me and let me know that my house had burned. I chuckled and responded "Sir, I am sitting on my front porch and my home had not burned". He then reminded me I had a house in Woodstock Georgia and that home had burned.
The burning of my rental home started a process that I thought would be easy but it was not. My agent was a college friend and roommate. The claim process began and that was the last I heard of my agent.
As a Landlord Insurance Agent, I work hard to set expectations, give perspective of how the policy will pay a claim prior to the sale, at policy review, and when a claim occurs. Claims ROT. There is nothing as a Landlord Insurance Agent that I can do to keep the claim process from rotting except to build expectations and be your voice to the carrier as needed.
Landlord Insurance Agent means that I understand the landlord business:
- Worked for a Large Property Management company for 9+ years
- The team helped customers through the landlord claims process since 2005
- The agency tailors landlord insurance to meet the landlord's expectations.
Start the conversation by using the Podium app below to communicate via Text or Call us at (678) 648-1900 or in South and Coastal Georgia call (912) 225-6000
Tenant fought eviction by burning the home
The eviction crew drove up, the sheriff arrived, and the process of eviction had started but the tenant did not up open the door. Moments later, smoke was seen coming from the home. It had happened. The tenant poured gas through the middle of the home and lit it on fire.
Just another claim that our Certain Underwriters of Georgia paid in full as a complete loss.
Hurricane Ian takes out Sanibel Island
The claim process has started for three of the homes we insure for a customer on Sanibel Island in Florida. All three homes were insured for Flood and Property Coverage. The insurance company has responded to the claims and has started the process. At this time we do not have a clear picture of the homes and their status. More on this story coming!
Tenant's 12 year old Daughter setup 'shrine' causing fire
We live in a unique world where setting up a shrine to dolls is not a surprise. This shrine included candles. Once the candles were lit and the moment of enjoyment wore off, the child went outside to play. The candles were still burning. Twenty minutes later the home was a blaze. An Allstate company paid for that claim and then sued the tenants.
Marijuana watering system failed
The tenant was growing a robust crop of marijuana in the attic. Growing lights, watering system, and more were well thought out and apparently producing a good crop. Then it happened. The watering system failed and the tenant found when they got home all of the ceilings in the house on the floor of the living area. Just another claim we have seen in this business of insuring landlords.
Disgruntled Tenant Destroys Home Prior to Eviction
Eviction pending, the tenant decided to pay his last respects to the landlord. Liquid dye was poured from corner to corner of each room and then bleach was poured on the carpet too. That was not enough for this tenant. An axe when then used on each door and wall leaving the home a complete disaster. The insurance paid due to vandalism and the lack of proof that the tenant was the perpetrator.
Traveling Professional Saves Money by not using the Heat
One cold January in Alpharetta, the call came from the next door neighbor, "Just to let you know, there is water coming out of the windows and from under the front door". Further inspection showed the home flooded by broken water lines after the freezing overnight temperature. The tenant had effectively moved out but was paying the rent until the end of the lease. The only problem is there was no heat. Several thousands of dollars later and many weeks of renovations the home was finally re-rented.
Having water coverage is critical to the landlord policy!